Frequently Asked Questions
- Do you have a video that shows the Building part of the game?
Yes! Even Two!
Building short clip 1/2 - Daytime
Building short clip 2/2 - Nightime
- Can I build anywhere on the map?
No. Building happens in the Heartland valleys and is disallowed outside of them. Additionally, some areas in the Heartlands that would break gameplay are restricted. For example, the Heartlands feature a pre-made road network and you cannot build on top of roads. You cannot build underground either. However, we do allow building on water, and indeed, waterfront buildings look amazing. In some cases, this does allow for building a bridge.
- Can I set up my plot on a dungeon entrance?
No. We want to guarantee that PvE areas that should be accessible to all, are accessible to all. And it is unlikely that you will find dungeons’ entrance in the Heartlands.
- Can I build in PvP areas and, if yes, in a permanent way?
We don’t want to go into any details on PvP right now, sorry! This should be covered in a FAQ dedicated to PvP. Please be patient :)
- Can I take resources from abandoned structures?
Yes, if a player tears down a plot, the items left behind become available to other players.
- If yes, does this mean that I could potentially claim larger, more complex buildings with my plot? And if so, are they/can they be larger than you'd normally be allowed to build in your single plot size?
You can’t claim the pre-made buildings, but you will be able to build extremely large buildings using the plot permission sharing inside clans.
- What could be some reasons to visit other players’ settlements? Could we get access to rare materials or recipes? Could we get access to their books or other discoveries?
We don’t want to go into specifics on this right now, but let’s just say trading will be a large part of Pax Dei. There might also be additional reasons you want to visit other people, like politics.
- Is there a mechanic that limits the number of structures that I can build?
The amount of land available is the only constraint. Each player will get one plot of land you can build on as part of a paid account, and we intend to add mechanisms that allow players to acquire additional plots.
As an aside, note we’ve noticed during playtests that clans often appoint a player to be the master builder, so if you’re really into building, try to find a guild that wants to make you this person.
- Are the houses premade, or can I build whatever I want?
You can build almost whatever you want from the building pieces in the game - see the next answer!
- Can I go crazy in terms of structure, or do I need to respect some architectural rules?
The building system features a physics system that forces structural integrity on the buildings, so your buildings will have to make sense from a structural perspective. As an example, while houses can be pretty big, you cannot build a house that’s infinitely high.
- In the long term, will all buildings look more or less the same?
We have multiple building piece sets and are looking to add more customization options to the houses. We’d love to eventually have a system that allows you to make a very diverse set of houses that can all look unique. We definitely won’t have all these features done by the time the game goes to general availability, and plan to keep adding features in the updates.
- When we go to build on our plots, how forgiving is the building system if we want to change our minds and start over completely, or if we mess up? Can we recoup supplies equally, or are they lost once placed?
We’re still debating exactly how much you’ll recoup when tearing down the houses. But we do want the system to be fairly forgiving.
- Can I craft furniture and decorative items?
Yes! There are a number of items you can build in addition to just buildings, crafters, and chests. For example, you can craft rugs, chairs, tables, etc. The selection of items in the game right now is not extensive as we haven’t gone into full production on this content set, and we’re looking to add more.
- Do they have value in the gameplay, or are those just for decorating purposes?
Some are usable and we do want to support full RP gameplay where you can nicely decorate your house also with usable furniture. Lights are especially helpful, with the dark nights you’ll experience in the game. We don’t currently know how extensive this prop set will be by the time you get to play the game, but we will be continuing to develop the game for a very long time, including adding more content over time.
- Can I design my own ones, or are those pre-set?
They will be provided by the game.
- Can I customize them to the colors of my clan?
The systems have many features to customize the items you can craft and we have the tech in place to enable features such as the type of wood used to craft an item changes the look of items made of the wood. We additionally have a system for clans to create their own heraldic symbol, which appears on some of the gear worn by the clan, and we are planning to support this in some items you can craft on your plot. We don’t currently know the extent to which we’ll support all of these features by the time the game comes out, so we’ll share more details on this later.
- How big are the Heartlands we're building in?
We're creating a separate FAQ about the world and will cover this question in detail. The Heartlands are pretty big, and there are many.
- There are no doors or signs in the videos?
The current game build doesn't have doors and signs, but yes, we want to have these as much as you do.
- Is there a height cap to how tall buildings I can make?
Yes, but the structural integrity system will block you from making buildings tall enough to hit the cap. We want to enable you to make large multi-story houses, but at the same time, we don't want the game to feature skyscrapers, so the tallest buildings will be somewhere around what you'd expect to see in the Middle Ages.
- Are the building pieces in the video final?
The video we posted doesn't show all the blocks we have in the game, and we're still iterating on exactly what blocks we have, so please assume anything you saw in the video is subject to change.
- Can I build on water?
Yes, we currently allow the plots to overlap water and probably will want to have this be the case long term. As you saw in the video we posted, lakeside properties are pretty awesome. In the current game build, you can place building foundation pieces underwater, as long as the bottom of the lake is close to the surface, so effectively you can build on the shore with slight overlap with water, but you cannot build let's say a bridge over a lake.
- I can't build outside of Heartlands, right? But what about PvP?
You can't build outside of Heartlands in the current game version. We want to have this eventually, but PvP building destruction that works in an MMO is highly challenging to have work in a way that creates a good gameplay experience, so we haven't made this yet. We're working toward having a solid core game at launch, and we planned PvP building for a game update. Having said that, we absolutely want to have high-stakes PvP in the game launch version - it's just the stakes are not related to building. The reason not to have the houses you're building in Heartlands be part of PvP is that we want the base game to be enjoyable to even those who don't want to participate in PvP directly. We believe even the hardcore PvPers deserve a resting place in the world to regroup and gather forces in preparation for the next battle.
- Does the game have roads? How do those work?
Yes, we have a pre-made road network, and we'll also cover this in more detail in the World FAQ. The short of it is: roads are intended for traveling the world, and you can't build on pre-made roads.